It’s no secret that Tahiti is a popular honeymoon and romance destination. But believe it or not, it can also be great for families. Don’t believe us? Put our word to the test and bring along the kids for a family vacation unlike any other!
A Few Things to Consider
Many of us have children of our own, so we know how much careful thought goes into planning your vacation. From choosing the destination to selecting the hotel, we can help you make the best decision based on your family’s needs. Here are just a few things to consider:
- An overwater bungalow may not be the best choice for your little one. In fact, although most resorts provide secure netting for the bungalow decks, you may need to sign a release form if your child is very young. The lagoons can carry enough of a current to make swimming around the bungalow a cause for concern. Give yourself better peace of mind and stay in a garden villa with a private plunge pool, for example.
- Containment is key. Many family suites or garden villas offer a more secure environment for children. With a private terrace or garden, you can watch your child from the comfort of your own “backyard.” You’re also more likely to find shade for your baby’s fair skin.
- Kitchens make it easy to live like you’re at home. Whether you need to heat up formula or accommodate a picky eater, you’ll have everything you need at all times. And villas that feature their own kitchens are usually built like houses, meaning they are the ideal setup for families and the walls are thick to help with sound.
- Many gourmet restaurants do not open for dinner until 7:00 p.m. If your children get hungry earlier due to their regular eating habits or the time change, you’ll want to make sure there are options available where you are staying. You can always order room service and every resort usually has a simple dish like Spaghetti Bolognese on their menu. Also, keep in mind that while the resort restaurants typically provide high chairs and booster seats upon request, many of the local off-site restaurants do not.
- Some of the more modern resorts feature a rain shower rather than a formal bathtub, which can make bath time a challenge. Definitely choose a resort with a full bathtub to make sure you can bathe your child during the trip.
Feel the Love, Family Style
If you decide to travel as a family, we recommend the islands of Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, or Huahine. Many of their resorts cater to families and children of all ages and even offer wonderful babysitting services. Kids also stay and eat for free at any of the Pearl, Hilton and InterContinental resorts. Here’s a quick look at some of our other favorites and just a few extra reasons why we love them:
- Four Seasons Bora Bora. The Tamarii (“Kids”) Club features an indoor playroom and outdoor playground with a children’s splash pad. They also have what’s called “Chill Island” for teens, which is a private stretch of beach complete with water games and snorkeling equipment.
- St. Regis Bora Bora. Their Kids Creativity Club offers plenty of indoor and outdoor activities such as swimming, sand castle building, arts and crafts, storytelling and games to keep your children engaged.
- Le Méridien Bora Bora. The resort’s Turtle Sanctuary is the perfect place for kids to swim with sea turtles. There is also a playground on the property.
- Maitai Lapita Village Huahine. This new resort on Huahine is great for families. They offer meal-inclusive packages and their rooms are designed to easily accommodate children. The staff is also incredibly friendly and hospitable!
- Moorea Pearl Resort & Spa. Special amenities for children include a welcome gift upon arrival and complimentary toys during your stay.
- InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa. Home to the popular Moorea Dolphin Center, kids can swim with the dolphins and enjoy a wide range of other activities.
Want to know more? Stay tuned for updates and offers from these resorts. In the meantime, allow us to introduce you to one of our other family favorites, the Legends Resort Moorea.
Legends Resort Moorea
Legends Resort Moorea is the perfect complement to the qualities that already make the island of Moorea one of the best vacation spots for families. A favorite among locals and visitors alike, the island boasts a very relaxed atmosphere. It also exudes true Polynesian hospitality, making it warm and welcoming to all ages and families of all sizes.
Here’s what you will love about Legends Resort Moorea:
- They are a Preferred Family Certified resort, meaning they can accommodate all age groups from infants and toddlers to “tweens” and teens.
- They offer spacious, individual villas for private family time. These villas are equipped with a full kitchen including all appliances and cookware. They also feature their own Jacuzzi and boast exceptional panoramic views, providing you with a little taste of paradise.
- They supply complimentary childcare amenities such as highchairs, infant bathtubs, and cribs with appropriate bedding. Babysitting services are also available if you’d like a little quiet time away from the kids.
- Their restaurants offer a children’s menu sure to please your child’s taste. They also open their doors early and have extended evening hours to accommodate your family’s eating schedule. Or the resort even has an on-site grocery store where you can buy things like milk, eggs, bread or pre-packaged meals if needed.
- Resort amenities include a pool, private beach, tennis court and fitness center. They also provide family entertainment such as children’s books, DVDs and TV programming.
- The opportunities to stay active are endless! Some of the many available activities include bike riding, hiking, horseback riding, snorkeling, scuba diving, and swimming with dolphins at the Dolphin Encounter. Not sure what to do first? Their friendly concierge has a rich knowledge of the local points of interest that are appropriate for families.
Kids Fly Free. Book Now!
Air Tahiti Nui is running a “Tahiti Family Special” where kids up to 11 years old fly free from Los Angeles with two paying adults. To coincide with this special airfare, we’re offering two family packages, the Family Inclusive and the Family Delight, both featuring the Legends Resort Moorea. The best part? The kids fly free and you’ll enjoy a few other perks and amenities just for bringing them along!
More to Come
Stay tuned! We’ll bring you more information about kid-friendly activities and learning opportunities available at each resort.